The food choices we make during pregnancy affect our offspring later on in life. If you’re pregnant, now is the time to clean up your diet.
Kristin Kirkpatrick, RD
In today’s episode of the podcast, we interview Kristin Kirkpatrick, MS, RD, LD. Kristin served as the lead dietitian at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio for 15 years and is now a best-selling author and member of the Dr. Oz Medical Advisory Board. She has recently joined the Gene Food team as Chief Nutrition Officer. We cover a host of different topics including cravings that can develop on Vegan diets, which foods and supplements to focus on when pregnant, the health benefits of choline, eating for ApoE4, Kristin’s experience using nutrigenomics at the Cleveland Clinic, and much more. Enjoy!
In This Episode:
- Kristin’s experience as lead dietitian at the Cleveland Clinic [9:00];
- Why your genes aren’t your destiny [15:00];
- The conflicting diet advice on Apoe4 [19:50];
- Vegan meat cravings and nutrient deficiency [26:35];
- Kristin’s tips for healthy eating during pregnancy [31:30];
- Folate, MTHFR, Omega 3, Choline, Iron and pregnancy [35:30];
- Saturated fat in pregnancy and how it can affect child development [38:50];
- Supplements to consider during pregnancy (B vitamin focus) [45:00];
- Seafood, EPA and DHA during pregnancy [49:00];
- Choline needs during pregnancy + TMAO [53:45];
The Dean Ornish protocol mentioned by Kristin.
Information on Caldwell Esselstyn’s very low fat diet.
Blog posts we have published on Apoe4 and Alzheimer’s disease:
A story about one woman’s struggle to stay Vegan and the cravings she experienced.
Information on gestational diabetes from the Mayo Clinic.
Recommended daily intake of choline during pregnancy (>450 mg daily)