One of my favorite grain-free trends is sweet potato toasts. Honestly, I love all things sweet potatoes, but there is something about the way these come out slightly crisp on the outside, but still creamy on the inside that just gets me. But, most importantly, they are the perfect vessel for so many toppings. Sweet potatoes toe such a perfect line between sweet and savory, making the topping choices endless. I can rarely decide between sweet and savory, so I usually make 1 of each. Here are 2 of my favorite options.
Sweet Potato Toasts 2 Ways
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
For the Toasts
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch toasts, ends trimmed
- 1 Tbsp Gopal’s Organic Raw Cashew Butter
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 tsp Nutiva Organic Hemp Seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 t cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
For the Toasts
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Line a baking sheet with a silat or parchment paper then arrange sweet potato toasts in a single layer
- Transfer to oven and bake 16-18 minutes, until tender
- Increase heat to high broil and broil 1-2 minutes, until just beginning to brown
For the Sweet
- Spread cashew butter onto toast, top with hemp seeds and sliced bananas then sprinkle with cinnamon
For the Savory:
- In a bowl, smash avocado with lime juice then spread onto toast
- Top with cilantro and flaky sea salt
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 254.3
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 266.6
- Fat: 14.6
- Saturated Fat: 2.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30.1
- Fiber: 6.2
- Protein: 5.6
- Cholesterol: 0
How do I prep the sweet potatoes?
The first step in any veggie prep is a good wash. Give the potato a good scrub under warm water then dry it well. Next, chop each end off and discard. Now, place the potato on the cutting board, sitting on one of the flat cut sides. With a sharp knife, carefully slice 1/2 inch slices, discarding the two outer slices that are mostly skin.
What can I use instead of avocado if I’m avoiding histamine foods?
You’ll absolutely love these toasts with our almond ricotta. Since we’re going savory, skip the maple syrup and add a little extra lemon juice and/or zest. Top it with some thinly sliced radishes for a real zing.
What other topping combinations work on sweet potato toasts?
Just like regular toast, there is really no wrong topping for sweet potato toasts. Here are a few of my other favs:
- Hummus & pine nuts
- Any combo of nut butter and fresh fruit
- Cream cheese (or a dairy-free alternative) and preserves
- Honey and cayenne
- Goat cheese and sliced tomato
- Scrambled eggs and black beans
How can I store and reheat these if I make a big batch?
These will keep in the fridge about 5 days. I like to lay mine in a shallow container and layer them with paper towels so they aren’t overlapping. That way they don’t squish (technical term) together or lose their shape. The paper towel also helps keep excess moisture under control.
You can reheat them in the oven or try the toaster oven for a quick fix. Just keep a close eye the first few times, as each toaster heat and duration varies.
Can I skip the oven and just use my toaster?
I wish I had better news for you but no, the sweet potatoes won’t cook enough in a regular toaster. Now, if you have a toaster oven, you can set that baby to 425F and go for it! But it will require the same amount of cook time.