Nature continually astounds me with her abundance of culinary superstars. Jackfruit is one of those ingredients that wows you the first (ok and second, and maybe third) time you try it. How a fruit could so effectively masquerade as a meat alternative is beyond me!
Jackfruit is a versatile fruit that is often eaten fresh, but just as often chopped or shredded and used as meat alternative. It is a large bright green fruit with a bumpy texture and a orange flesh. It’s skin is discarded and its large seeds are edible. The dried and ground seeds are a popular ingredients for baking.
Vegan Sloppy Joes with Jackfruit
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Pacific Food Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Edwards & Sons Organic Jackfruit
- 1 tsp Wholesome Raw Organic Honey
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos
- 2 Tbsp Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Bragg’s Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 T Primal Kitchen Organic Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t paprika
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 8 leaves lettuce
- In a pan, heat 2 Tbsp water over med
- Add onions, peppers and garlic then saute 2-3 min (adding 1 Tbsp water at a time as needed)
- Add jackfruit, broth, 1/4 cup water, coconut aminos and tomato paste then bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 6-8 min, until thickened
- Scoop mixture between lettuce leaves and garnish with parsley
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 133.5
- Sugar: 11.3
- Sodium: 492.3
- Fat: 0.7
- Saturated Fat: 0.1
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 27.1
- Fiber: 11.1
- Protein: 5.1
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, gluten free, grain free, oil free, soy free, vegan
Jackfruit, being a great source of resistant starch and dietary fiber, hold potential for digestive benefits. Because of this composition, the fruit is categorized as low glycemic index (1). Fiber can help slow digestion, leading to longer satiety and it can also help regulate blood sugar, decreasing big spikes (2).
As with most ingredients we choose for our meals, jackfruit is chock full of nutritional benefits. It contains highly active phytonutrients that act to fight inflammation and have protective effects against some types of cancer. Jackfruit is a low calorie food and a rich source of potassium, which has been linked to heart-protective effects. Additionally, its a great source of vitamin A and C, riboflavin, calcium, iron and zinc, to name a few (1). The vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, fighting against free radicals and boosting the immune system (3).
Edwards & Sons has a great variety of shredded, whole and chopped jackfruit. It is certified organic and responsibly packaged. I always keep some in my pantry for those no-idea-what-I’m-going-to-cook moments.
If you love a spicy sloppy joe, add some cayenne or crushed red pepper to this recipe. If you diet allows for some oil, feel free to saute in that instead of water. And if grains are part of your diet, you can serve this on organic gluten free or regular whole wheat bread.