Is anything quite as fun as eating fungi? Or is it just fun to say that? Either way, mushrooms are incredible culinary and medicinal ingredients that have a history dating back, well, as long as history itself. They have been consumed for their medicinal properties for centuries and were considered a “food of the Gods” and and “elixir of life” my ancient civilizations,
The health benefits and incredible flavor have held true throughout the years. Mushrooms are a popular ingredient on most menus and are studied extensively for their health-promoting benefits. With an incredible amount of varieties, all edible mushrooms share a common umami, meaty flavor.
Roasted Portobello Fajita Salad with Spiced Avocado Dressing
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 large portobello, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups salad greens, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1/2 avocado
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat
- Spread mushrooms, peppers and onions into a single layer on prepared sheet pan and transfer to oven for 18-20 minutes, tossing halfway through
- In a bowl, combine paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano with 2 Tbsp water and salt and pepper to taste then set aside
- In a high speed blender, combine 2 Tbsp water, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, avocado and salt and pepper to taste
- Divide salad greens between plates then top with roasted vegetables and spiced avocado dressing
- Calories: 158.4
- Sugar: 6.5
- Sodium: 125.8
- Fat: 6.2
- Saturated Fat: 0.9
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22.6
- Fiber: 8.6
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, gluten free, grain free, oil free, soy free, vegan
Mushrooms are a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate, low-fat food, but what they lack in these categories they make up for in other nutrients. They are a potent source of selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D, protein and fiber (1).
The combination of essential amino acids and fiber make mushrooms a great meat alternative choice. They provide all the essential amino acids and have a notably higher protein level than most other vegetables (1).
Naturally, mushrooms are antibacterial and work to enhance the immune system while lowering cholesterol. Studies have shown promise for their potential for the treatment of degenerative and chronic conditions like cancer, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, stroke and hypertension. The responsible party for many of these amazing health benefits is the most common polysaccharide found in mushrooms: beta-glucans. They are potent immune system stimulators (2).
Our recipe calls for portobellos but you can fix this salad with any mushroom of your choosing, or a mushroom blend. You can even make this recipe with organic dried portobellos. Simply soak them in hot water for 20-30 minutes. You can then use the soaking liquid in lieu of vegetable broth for some extra mushroom flavor!
If your diet allows, you can add some organic olive oil to the veggie roast or to the dressing. You can also swap out the spice profile to fit your personal tastes.
The very latest on genetics, nutrition and supplements delivered to your inbox!
Have a question?
We’re experimenting with QA rather than a comments section.